Pages

Sunday 25 May 2008

Reading is a Blessing

This article contains the following quote:

Be careful of the books you choose, consider them as company you keep. For they will influence your family's habits and character.


Do you ever read something that really resonates within you? I don't have family to worry about when I choose what to read (the cats aren't big readers) but I do need to look to myself. I've noticed that I'm very susceptible to the atmosphere of my reading. If I'm reading secular chicklit about a girl's racy life I want that life too. Little House on the Prairie has me reaching for the broom to sweep the kitchen. I guess I have too much imagination but that's the way I am and I'm deeply affected by what I read. Impressionable. That's the word, I think. I am very impressionable.

I already avoid chicklit and also most fantasy and magical realism as these all send me in directions I don't want to go. But I don't read exclusively Christian titles although I try and avoid anything glorifying attitudes and actions that are contrary to Christian belief. Is this enough? Because you can't always tell where a story is going to take you from the blurb on the back.

I need to think more and listen. If God wants me to change my reading habits then he won't be silent.

1 comment:

Angie said...

This reminds me of when I first got saved. I use to read a lot of those steamy romance novels but after I got saved I just didn't feel right reading them and that's how I discovered Christian fiction. :) Of course, you know I don't just read Christian fiction but I just make sure that the secular books I read are free of anything that I know the Lord doesn't want me to be affected by. But like you said I've picked up a book that seemed to be okay but it started to go somewhere I was not comfortable with so I end up putting it aside.

I like that quote btw. :)