Pages

Thursday 15 May 2008

52. Christopher Marlowe - Doctor Faustus

This is a set book for the OU’s AA100. I’m considering doing the course in 2009 and am getting a head start through OpenLearn.

I’m not a fan of Ye Olde English but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to understand this play. Of course, I was helped by having read it before (as an Undergraduate at Dundee University) but that was a long time ago. This edition has a lot of additional information and utilises large quotations from academic works. I found that a lot of this went right over my head and am hoping that the OU’s notes are more helpful.

It’s hard to say who I might recommend this book to. It’s not something I would usually read. I suppose anyone interested in 17th Century literature since it is a classic of its time.

7/10

No comments: