Pages

Saturday 3 May 2008

49. Stephen Baker - How to Live with a Neurotic Cat

Title: How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
Author: BAKER Stephen
Publisher: Grafton
Format: Paperback
BCID: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4475756
No. of pages: 128
First sentence: A recent census taken among cats shows that approximately 100 percent are neurotic.

I’d read this book before but was glad to take another look at it for the Think Cat! course – many thanks to AngelChild for giving me the opportunity.

This is an amusing look at the life of the average, neurotic feline. The author’s premise is that all cats do is eat and sleep and this is certainly true of some of them. The illustrations are well worth a look while the text, although sparing, makes some good points. I did find it rather odd that Bast was referred to as male though!

I would recommend this book to any cat owner with a sense of humour. The cover shows a cartoon of an alarmed-looking cat. The title doesn’t hint at the humour within the pages – when I first heard of it, I thought it was a serious book about cat psychology! I would read other books by this author if their subject matter appealed to me – I know he’s written ‘How to Live with a Neurotic Dog’ but, as I’ve never lived with a dog, it doesn’t hold the same interest for this cat-lover.

7/10

No comments: