Pages

Thursday 2 April 2009

DNF - Shulamit Lapid - Valley of Strength

I’m really disappointed by my failure to read this book as it’s the first I’ve snagged from LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer programme. I think I made a poor choice and this book is intended for a different reader. I found it depressingly dull and political and entirely lacking in the homely, farming, family life that I expected. Clearly I have read too much Laura Ingalls Wilder, but when I saw that this book was about living on the frontier of Israel at the turn of the century I settled down for a version of the Little House books with a slightly different setting.

If a reader were really interested in the history of Israel then I would recommend this book. For me though I was glad when the cat knocked it off the table and lost my place thus giving me permission to stop and choose something else from my shelves.

No comments: