Pages

Saturday 19 July 2008

66. Geraldine Brooks - Year of Wonders


Title:
Year of Wonders
Author:
Brooks, Geraldine
Publisher:
4th Estate
Format:
Paperback
BCID:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5661784
No. of pages:
321
First sentence:
I used to love this season.

I chose to read this book because I enjoy historical fiction and found something oddly romantic about the concept of a seventeenth century village quarantining itself while plague was amongst the inhabitants. I was not disappointed.

The central character and narrator is a young widow named Anna. She has an engaging personality and her voice rings true throughout the text. Brooks has chosen a style of language which seems natural to Anna and has obviously researched her subject meticulously. At times I could see myself sitting at Anna's hearth while she told me her story - and it is a story that held my interest from start to finish.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction based on the facts as we know them. I have read another book by Brooks and am looking forward to reading more in the future.

10/10

No comments: