Pages

Saturday 19 April 2008

DNF - Mike Cleveland - The Lord's Table

I heard about The Lord's Table a number of years ago and this was my second or third attempt to get to grips with it. It's billed as 'A Biblical Approach to Weight Management' and, in fairness, it does what it says on the tin. But I really don't much like it. The author's premis is that overeating is idolatry and if we learn to fast properly and 'feast on the Lord' then we'll lose weight and all will be well. My Dr has advised regular meals as my stomach isn't a happy stomach at the moment and he's been muttering about ulcers. But I was happy to work through the book while following the SlimmingWorld diet which allows for regular meals and has worked for me in the past. According to the book's author, this means I'm following the rules of the world instead of the rules of God. This does not sit well. The only one who knows if it's true is God but I'm assuming he doesn't want me ill through being overweight or ill with an ulcer and therefore a sensible eating plan will meet with his approval.

The author's tone is 'preachy' and awkward and pushy and ... I just didn't like it. It lacks finesse. Which, as he's a pilot and not a writer, is perhaps not surprising.

At this point, I don't feel I'm learning anything from the study although, as with most things, there are probably nuggets of goodness hidden away in the large, spiral-bound book.

No comments: