Pages

Wednesday 1 December 2010

John & Stasi Eldredge - Captivating - 2010/047

I was asked to read this title by the lovely people at BookSneeze and can only apologise for taking so long to do so.

This is a new edition of Captivating (a title I've read before) and have greatly enjoyed revisiting. It contains some new material but is basically a re-release of the rather battered paperback I already own.

The Eldredges have a theory. They believe that every woman (and every man for that matter) is born with a Question etched on their heart which only God can answer. It is in looking to other sources for answers that we tie our selves in knots, hurt others and open our arms to the Enemy (Satan). Captivating makes extensive use of the Bible (starting right back with Genesis) to explain why this is so and then offers a Biblical alternative.

As I read this book I found myself drawn in by the excellent writing and entirely agreeing with the authors - yes, I have a Question. Yes, I've looked for answers in all the wrong places. Yes, I've been wounded and, yes, I want Jesus to heal me. I've found that my faith has been rekindled and, for the first time in a while, I'm spending quality time with Him.

Although there were areas of this book with which I was less comfortable - I'm not big on spiritual warfare - there's enough here for me to mull over and work on without focussing on that aspect. Although I know the Eldredges have their critics, think this is one of the best books on femininity that I have read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can expect God to heal her, it is the belief and motivation. What you can do, and we always hope that you are truly motivated to try. Faith helps us stronger people. friv 3